Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    G-AVLN in front of her home

    G-AVLN in front of her home

    Mostly Unix and Linux topics. But flying might get a mention too.

    Tuesday, June 10, 2008

    apt-get behind a proxy in Ubuntu

    How amazing! I've now been using my little Dell with Ubuntu exclusively for many months, and I haven't realised until now that it didn't have the ssh server installed!

    I used the client to connect out to various boxes all over the place, but clearly never tried to connect into it. Until now. Just tried from my HP-UX machine - failed. Once penny dropped what the reason for the "connection on port 22 refused" message was, quickly run the command to install it:


    # sudo apt-get install openssh-server

    only to realise, quite a while later, that it hang.

    Of course! I'm sitting behind the classroom proxy, and although I configured Firefox, any application outside of it won't know. I could set a system wide parameter, but I settled for:

    # export http_proxy=http://10.175.20.1:8080/

    Run the apt-get again, and I'm in sshd business.

    2 comments:

    Unknown said...

    That's a good thing! Especially as Ubuntu is primarily a desktop distribution. Always better to have as few daemons as possible running and only add more when needed.

    Alina said...

    Valid point !

    Blog Archive