Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    G-AVLN in front of her home

    G-AVLN in front of her home

    Mostly Unix and Linux topics. But flying might get a mention too.

    Friday, April 11, 2014

    Broadcom wireless on HP 6735s with Mint 16

    Last time I installed Linux on this laptop, it was Ubuntu 10.10. I can't remember what I did to get the wireless working, but it was painful. 

    So when I started Mint 16, and wireless didn't get recognised, I had a vision of big trouble. However, one of the first articles I found was linux mint tutorial.

    Followed the instructions and it all worked without a glitch.

    The only comment I will add is that (of course) you need to connect to the  Internet using a wired connection first. After that:

    (1) Identify your wireless chip:

    $ sudo lspci -nn | grep BCM
    06:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)

    (2) Confirm that it is supported, against the hardware compatibility list. Look for the item indexed by the highlighted number above. Here, I'm assuming your device is supported. If not, I can't help any further...

    (3) Install the driver with the following command:
    $ sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

    Disconnect the wired cable, and wireless should pick up where Ethernet left off. Mind you, I had to restart GUI for the applet to refresh and show the wireless icon correctly.



    No comments:

    Blog Archive